Thursday, September 1, 2011

Poblano Penne

Penne Pasta with a Poblano Pepper Sauce

Now isn't that a mouthful? That's a lot of P's for a dish that is as simple as ABC... I'll let that sink in a bit. I had a Poblano left over from a recipe I'll put up here eventually, but I had no meat. So what to do? Pasta is always on hand and so should some form of milk be, this day would be half 'n half (The base of my white sauce). So what to do... what to do... how about a Poblano Bechamel? Nah... just a regular sauce will do. No need to bring mothers into it.



Ingredients
-Penne Pasta
-A Poblano Pepper
-Half 'n Half
-Sweet Onion
-Garlic
-Parsley

Creation
One thing I really don't like to see is "First cook pasta to al dente... drain.. set aside." I dunno. I have a problem with cooking pasta and then letting it dry out while I cook everything else, who knows maybe I'm just crazy, which is also always an option.

So, first thing first, begin bringing a pot of water to a boil but leave that pasta alone! Or I will find you... and link you to the previous paragraph.

Dice the onion and saute of medium heat to carmelize. Add a little salt to help bring out the juices. The sweetness is needed to compliment the peppers.

Mince the garlic and the dice the pepper sans seeds. Once the onions have become a little brown and sweet dump the garlic and peppers in the pan. Now is when we begin thinking about the pasta. Drop the past and stir in half 'n half to the peppers.

I should note that I don't use measurements. Its all by feel, but we are going for a thick bechamel type sauce... sans roux.

It takes about 10min to cook pasta to al dente and about that same amount of time to reduce half 'n half. Once pasta is done toss in sauce and then serve on plate. Garish with parsley is you are fancy. Now look at that. No standing pasta... and yet..


No comments:

Post a Comment