Sunday, February 26, 2012

Shrimp 'n Potato Chowder

Shrimp and Potato Chowder



Boy do I love a good chowder. Pretty much the only soup I am always making. They can be very simple to complex. This one is rather simple.

Ingredients
-Diced Potatoes
-Shrimp
-Peppers
-Onions
-Garlic
-Milk

Creation
As usual I have no measurements so easier to just show you what I'm dealing with.

Not pictured. One Anaheim Pepper diced.

Now I usually boiled the potatoes in the chowder back when I was in college and very lazy, but now I do them separate. That way more flavors can be induced and that is exactly what I'm going to do.

There's flavor in 'dem shells

Yep, gonna make my own flavor packet thingy for the potatoes using the shrimp shells, a bouillon cube, and bay leaves. 

Just gets tossed in the boiling water with the potatoes.

That way you get some flavor in those potatoes. Then time to get the chowder started. Onions, garlic, and peppers are thrown in a pot with some oil.

Makin' a rue

That's right I make a rue with the vegetables in it. Make sure the flour taste is cooked out and then add the milk.

Add the potatoes when ready.

Shrimp are the last thing to add cause you don't want to over cook them. Once they are cooked through.. about 4 seconds... its done. Serve baby serve.

Now that is good stuff. 

Delicious stuff when flavors are allowed to shine. No need to add all kinds of spices and herbs cause it will still be...

No comments:

Post a Comment