Monday, April 9, 2012

Cabbage Rolls

Cabbage Rolls



I'm not even sure what compelled me to make these. I'm not a fan of cooked cabbage... but I must broaden those horizons. Plus they are so easy to make, then I found out they are stuffed with meat, rice and served with a sauce. I'm down!

Ingredients
-Cabbage... no way
-Ground meat
-Cooked Rice
-Jalapeno
-Egg
-Milk
-Tomato Sauce

Creation
So cabbage rolls. Yes some of the ingredients are vague they will be explained. Hakuna Matata.

I use beef and jalapenos

So cabbage rolls can be filled with an assortment of ground meat. I use beef but you can also use lamb or pork. In the bottom is some chopped onion and milk. I guess that's about a quarter.. half a cup.

Mixing it up

After that one egg and about a cup of cooked rice it added and then it is all mixed up and left to rest. Doesn't need to rest, but a sauce needs to be made.

This is the making of another ketchup/jelly sauce. (blurry... I know)

A tomato is normally used. I decided to make a sauce like the one in the Potstickers dish, just cause I could? I wanted something a little sweet. 

Tastiest mush ever!

Yeah the cabbage... needs to be boiled... and I did it the wrong way. Attempting to pull off each leaf to boil. Apparently you can either freeze it as that makes it soft or boil the whole head as they will indeed make it soft enough to roll without tearing. Still have yet to try those.. maybe I'll do a Asian version with napa cabbage and pork.. hmmm

Rolled and sitting in their sauce.

To roll start from the bottom. Tuck the ends in. Continue rolling. Nothing special with the rolling techniques here. Ready for the oven! Cover first. Doesn't matter what with.

Looking good.

See that black part over there? That's why you don't let the aluminum foil touch the cabbage. Can be remedied by adding another layer of cabbage. so you don't burn the good stuff.

Plated.

I don't cover in the sauce cause I think it looks better this way. I know right.

Yes it is cooked.. an oddly a light dish.

Made five of these for three people. There was no seconds.... it was claimed to be oddly not as filling as expected... but that's normally what happens when you make..

No comments:

Post a Comment