Sunday, January 29, 2012

Fusion Potsickers

Fusion Potstickers 





Fusion you say? Yes... I think. Well I said it so I'm going with it. From what I remember dumpling are normally filled with ground pork, sometimes shrimp, napa cabbage, water chestnuts, mushrooms, ginger, green onions. I used mostly shrimp, a little bit of pork, apples, celery, spinach, and ginger. The use of apples, celery and spinach I believe give it a french twist. I don't know. I may be wrong. Has happened before.

Also... A lot of pics incoming...

Ingredients
Filling
-Ground Pork
-Shrimp
-Celery
-Spinach
-Apples
-Ginger

Dough
-Flour
-Water

Sauce
-Onion
-Garlic
-Grape Jelly
-Ketchup
-Worcestershire Sauce

Creation
What?! Separated ingredients... Don't know why I didn't think of it before. So first off the filling. 


About this much shrimp


To that we add the pork, about a 1/4lb, which gives us more shrimp than pork. Which is what I wanted. Then there is one stalk of celery, plus a bit a ginger. Let's see what else did I add..

Oh yeah about this much diced apple


Not too much so when you bite it you don't get apple upfront but more sweetness from apple.

Then the final kicker.. spinach.


Yep, no cabbage, and everything is diced so that it will fit inside a dumpling. I don't have a picture of the finished filling as it mysteriously vanished. So now for the dough. Just flour, water and salt. 

Obviously needs more water


I don't have measurements here cause I just do it by feel. Keep added a little bit of water until it pulls together .

This actually needs more flour and more kneading, but I ran out of flour... I know right?


So it should look like the above picture. A tiny bit.

Rolled into a log


This is so you can cut of sliver to make each dumpling.

Like this


No I can't roll out perfect circles, had to use a measuring cup, but yeah now to attempt to show you how to make these dumplings..... deep breath... Swig of Kool-aid... Here we go.

There that is what filling like


And yeah its close to being over-filled. No matter what you do you will probably over fill a couple. it just happens. I still do it and this isn't my first dumpling rodeo.

Pinch the sides up.


Now crimp. This is a bit hard to explain. Fold the back side over into the other side. 


And do the same to the other side. This is what the back looks like


My finished dumpling. Not going to win any beauty awards... they are clearly over stuffed.


Now we turn them into potstickers


To do this brown the bottom by getting some oil in the pan good and hot. Not so hot that it's burn cause you need time to put all the dumpling in and once they are browned on the bottom. Here comes the 'fun' part. While it is on the burner. Hot oil sizzling away and everything you are going to pour about a cup of water in the pot and then quickly cover. Then when the water boils away...

This is what you get


Now about that sauce. This is the part where you realize you should have read the whole thing first. Dice some onions and get then sweating in a pot. 

Nothing to see here.


Now once they have some color add some chopped garlic.

Simple. Easy.


Now add some grape jelly and ketchup.

Wait what?


Yes. Its about 1:1 on the ketchup and jelly. And once it boils down and the jelly melts....

Yes. Now taste. Correct sweetness or ketchup and done.


Potstickers are served bottoms up.


Now that looks good.



Fusion potstickers... now...

1 comment:

  1. I'd have to be a bit more confident before I try this one. Thanks for a great blog though, I regularly troll your recipes. I left you an award on my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete